Friday, March 11, 2011

On The Wings Of Words

This morning I awoke to the news that there has been a devastating earthquake in Japan and accompanying tsunami in Japan, Hawaii and along the US western coast.  My spirit is disturbed because I have family and friends in Hawaii and California.  It is very difficult to be so far away in Michigan.  I know that in the physical I wouldn't be much help to any of them.  But, as many Christians, I am armed and dangerous.  Nothing is too big for my God.  I am also not so naive to think that just because I pray that no harm will ever come to my family, friends, or even myself.  And while this scenario is playing out, there is a friend in Wyoming keeping a vigil and watching as her husband struggles to fight for his life in the ICU.  My Jesus is able to be present at all of these events.  I can not imagine a life without Jesus.  How do people manage on their own?

As a writer all of these events are yeast for yet another story, article or a plan for a new writing piece. In my case it will be non fiction but I know that some fiction writers are on their computers this morning, or typewriter if that is their usual tool.  Somewhere today a fiction writer has found the missing piece to a story or character.  Only recently have I started reading fiction.  When I was about 12 years old I decided not to read fiction and became a steadfast researcher.  Fiction is just as revealing about our society as is non fiction.  I have observed that the frequent use of profanity started much earlier than I had thought.  I have been reading some fiction that was written in excess of 30 years ago.  Thirty years ago I didn't know one person that spoke with profanities in their every day conversations.  But, I am thinking that perhaps I must have lived under a rock because I am finding such language in the fiction books I am reading. Or has society  dramatically changed during the current generation?  Either way, I know that currently such language is common place and I find that to be sad.

A story is racing around in this brain and today sometime it will be committed to paper.  But most of all I will be in prayer for those people who raced to safety and for the families who are frantically searching for their missing loved ones.

Marty 

3 comments: